Thursday, July 12, 2007

people and their dogs

I really have a problem with irresponsible dog owners, and they all seem to be drawn to my house. Tonight, I was finally sucking up all the leaves on the sidewalk when a grandma, her granddaughter, and the granddaughter's little puppy came by. Ignoring the powerful, loud mulcher that could suck that little dog right in, they came right up to the fence to let their puppy meet Vegas. At that point, it was still cute. Then, they allowed their pup, Rocko, to squeeze its way through our gate into the yard. Not so cute. Enter Maureen, who caught the puppy and led it back to its 5-year-old owner. She then proceeded to walk it over to my struggling dogwood bush and let it stand on top of it. Nice.

Unable to yell at the little kid or the grandma, I kindly asked the dog to move. As if that was going to work.

"Hey puppy. Off the bush, puppy," I pleaded. The puppy just jumped around on the wilted leaves a bit more.

I kept my mouth shut. How can you chastise a granny? Especially a granny that lives in the ambulance house (i.e. the house the ambulance visits on occasion late at night). Grrr. As soon as they made their way back across the street, I coaxed the shrub back to life with a pitcher of Miracle Gro-laced water.

No comments: