Tuesday, July 17, 2007

jesus camp: the scariest movie i've seen in years

Have you seen Jesus Camp? If you haven't, you must rent it (Netflix has it if you can't find it). I would advise not watching it alone or with someone who still refers to Sunday as the Sabbath in a serious tone of voice.

It was, hands down, the most frightening movie about child abuse that I've ever seen. Child abuse? Uh, yeah. It's the story of brainwashing children. Here are a few memorable moments:

(these are approximate quotes, I'm not about to watch it again)
"Levi, when were you saved?"
"When I was five. I just realized that I wanted more out of life."
---At Five? The kid should have maybe wanted more shades of Play Doh, yeah. But more out of life? What were they telling this kid?

"I ask God to bless this Power Point in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." -a quote from the kids' Evangelical minister.
---omg. This was so hilarious, it, for a moment, made me forget the horror of the situation.

I just hope these kids eventually get the chance at a public education and that they find out that the entire world doesn't think the field of science is a big political hoax. Oh. And that someone tells them it's not a normal camp activity to speak in tongues and talk about being bathed in blood. That's just plain creepy.

No comments: