Friday, November 18, 2005

when not to do it yourself


If you recognize this picture of Mario sleeping, you’ll know that Matt spent his Friday night beating Super Mario 2. After our exciting trip to Target, he felt the need to accomplish something, so he threw vegetables and dodged bubbles until ruled the victor. My hero. I’m just glad he didn’t try to convince me to run diagnostic tests on the furnace with him again. Yesterday, we thought our heating ordeal was over, but we woke up to a cold house. Last night, Matt was determined to fix it once and for all, so he picked up the manual and became one of those people. I say those people meaning the kind of people that buy a book on home wiring expecting to be able to wire their house. It’s just not smart. Our furnace manual screams out the following advice: “WARNING: If the information in this manual is not followed exactly, a fire or explosion may result…” Hmm. Let’s think about this. Anytime the words “warning,” “fire,” and “explosion” come within that close of proximity to one another, I say it’s a damn good excuse not to poke around in the furnace. The sad thing is that Matt wasn’t deterred. He was acting the part of all-macho amateur furnace repairman all right. I finally got him to just sit and watch TV when I pointed out that he didn’t have a voltmeter. The only downside? I have to wear my hat in the house again. I guess that’s a small price to pay for not exploding.

No comments: