Friday, November 11, 2005

matt's new yankee workshop

Okay, I’ll admit that I doubted Matt. I never thought he could turn our couch into a useable loveseat. I figured that by cutting it up he would just make it easier to throw away, but I was wrong. Last night, with company soon approaching, he went for it. He brought out his one and only power tool, a shiny new drill, and started making screechy revving noises while I was trying to peacefully watch er five feet away. I retreated upstairs and let him have his cave all to himself. I checked on him once in a while to ensure that he hadn’t tried to cut up any other furniture. He was actually making progress but did have a few stumbles along the way:

1. He broke multiple drill bits.

2. After ten minutes, he thought that he had broken his drill already and was monkeying around with it about two-inches from his eye (this is why I don’t want him to get a power saw).

3. He got one drill bit stuck in the wood and had to pry it out with pliers.

4. He discovered that his initial cut was uneven, so there was a gap between the left arm and the couch. The solution? He rolled up some extra padding, wrapped it in duct tape, stapled some extra fabric around it, and shoved it in the hole.

All in all, I’d say it was a success. Granted, if you sit on the left side, you sink almost to the floor, but he did do what he set out to do. He gave us a basement loveseat for the bargain price of $25. You go Matt.

No comments: