Monday, January 02, 2006

what i learned today

So, last week, I was putting frozen garlic bread in the oven, but rather than pull the rack out and place it gently on the pizza stone, I kind of tossed it in. My aim was a little off. One of the halves ended up garlic butter side down on the bottom of the oven. A little smoke and sizzling later, and I had a charred piece of still-frozen bread. When I went to use the oven the next day, it smoked so badly I had to turn it off and employ my genius cleaning methods. I don't resort to cleaning the oven often, but this time, the smoke was so thick it would've set off the smoke alarm across the house. I took a big, metal serving spoon, wrapped it in wet paper towel, and started scraping the bottom vigorously. It didn't work that well, but I grew impatient and turned the oven on again anyway. Nothing happened. The glowing light did not appear, the oven did not heat up, the bread did not cook. Hmm. I did what I always do when something doesn't work and called my dad. I guess scraping the bottom wasn't such a good idea. I might have shaken the ignitor enough to break it. Great. I guess we'll be calling that handy repairman again. What was his name again? Robby? I better get him on speed dial.

No comments: