Monday, January 30, 2006

things that smell bad

Burnt hair. Sewage. Old Broccoli. These are things that smell bad. Now, you can add another to the list--putting a George Foreman grill in the broiler. Tonight, I was preheating the oven and started to hear sparks. I kept listening, thinking I was losing it, but they kept coming, so I turned it off and ran outside. I was talking to Matt, so I asked him if he had put anything in the oven.

"No. Wait. I did put the George Foreman grill in the broiler."

He did what?

Thinking that the broiler drawer was a storage drawer, he stuck the grill in there. Me, not thinking to check the oven for small kitchen appliances before preheating, was now cooking a plastic grill. This should be interesting.

I stood outside for a few minutes, waiting to see if anything was going to explode or start on fire. When I went back inside, the smell was awful. I imagine it to be what it would smell like if you took a pile of those horrid latex-y Halloween masks, poured old woman perfume on them, and started them on fire. Yuck. Then I realized that the stupid grill could easily be on fire, couldn't it? Equipped with a potholder and a box of baking soda (or is it supposed to be baking powder? I always get those two messed up), I opened the broiler drawer to find the grill. It was a little bubbly on top but looked fine otherwise. I tossed it in the sink and later threw it out. I hated that thing anyway. Now I finally have an excuse to go out and buy the grill pan I want.

No comments: