Saturday, October 29, 2005

dry towel anyone?

My bathroom is the land of the perpetually damp towel. For some ungodly reason, there is only one small towel bar in it that will barely hold a hand towel, let alone two bath towels. I have no idea how families have lived in this house for the last 65 years without going insane. I decided to take matters into my own hands and bought a few hooks for the door. I figured it would be a smart and easy solution. I guess this is just another lesson in how house projects are never easy. I woke up today ready to go and spray painted the hooks to make them more rust resistant. Lesson one: don't spray paint outside in the fall. I should have known this, but being an optimist, I assumed that the leaves would magically blow away from the drying hooks. Wrong. I had to paint them about 4 times to try to cover up the smudges I left after digging leaf after leaf out of the wet paint. After a few hours of drying, the hooks were still gooey, but I was anxious to get the job done. I summoned Matt and his drill. He positioned the hooks, marked them off, and drilled two holes...right through our bathroom door. It turns out that the center panels on our old doors are very thin. Now, instead of having three handy hooks on the door, we have two holes that are clearly visible from either side. Nice. I guess I'll be living with damp towels for a bit longer.

No comments: