Tuesday, October 25, 2005

bang bang shoot 'em up

I really shouldn't joke about this, but what can you do? We have lived in our house for exactly one month. We thought the neighborhood was safe and cute. There are kids on skateboards and families with baby strollers everywhere. Good thing kids tend not to be out past 9:00 because last night we got caught in a low-budget episode of NYPD Blue. We were just coming upstairs from a rowdy game of Super Mario 1, and we heard this awful sound. I was in the bathroom, and Matt was closing the curtains. I thought a plane was crashing, but I wasn't even close. Two cars were chasing each other down our quaint, quiet street, and the second car stopped on our corner and shot at the first car 4-5 times. I just kept thinking to myself: Are you kidding? One month in the house, and we already have gangsters or druggies or whoever shooting at each other on our corner? Great. I guess this is why people repeatedly asked us: "You're moving to Minneapolis? You can't be moving to Minneapolis. What suburb will be you in?" Ha. We spent the rest of the night motionless on our bed with all of the lights off. Welcome to the joys of homeownership.

No comments: