Wednesday, October 11, 2006

the art of poaching (eggs)

The other day I found myself bored. Yes, even with digital cable, there is often nothing on. Unable to peel myself out of my chair, I resorted to watching Martha poach eggs. Now I have never poached an egg before, so I actually found it interesting. She made two perfectly poached eggs, trimmed them up, and set them on the heel of the bread to dry off. How cute and seemingly easy, I thought! Wrong. I tried last night. The first egg instantly separated into a white cloud (picture egg drop soup). I was obviously too rough. I tried again more gently. This time I did achieve a somewhat solid shape with much fewer egg wisps floating around. I took it out and eagerly tried a bit. Ugh. It tasted like fish. Maybe it's because they're the eggs with extra omega in them. Maybe it's just the poaching thing. Either way, I think I'll stick to letting someone else cook my eggs.

No comments: